What's Your Point?
*Entries extended - now open until Monday 5 March 2018*
The City of South Perth Libraries have launched a new youth speech competition.
What's Your Point? is open to anyone aged between 12 and 25 living within the Perth metro area. There are three age categories; 12-15 years, 16-19 years and 20-25 years, with prizes awarded in each category.
Entries will open on Tuesday 2 January 2018 and close on Monday 26 February 2018.
The topic for 2018 is Survival in a changing world.
Submit a written copy of a 2-4 minute speech responding to the topic.
Finalists will present their speech on Friday 13 April 2018, with the awards presentation to follow.
Proudly sponsored by Westbooks.
Conditions of entry:
- Open to entrants 12-25 years old
- Submitted in English, typed in a clear 12 point font, double-spaced
- Must be submitted with entry form
- One individual entry only
- Entries may consist of work undertaken to meet entrant's study, but must be the entrant's sole work, or be written purely for the competition
- Entries must include citations and references where necessary
- Entries containing plagiarised content will be disqualified
- Length: 2-4 minutes speaking time (must not be longer than 4 minutes)
- Entrant's name is not to appear on the entry
- Writing quality and structure of response
- Understanding of the topic
- Persuasive argument and clearly articulated point of view
- Presentation and rebuttal of counterarguments
Download the Entry Form here.
Download full Terms and Conditions here.
From 18 October - 18 November 2017, Manning and South Perth Libraries has a dedicated student study space. So grab your study buddies and work together at the library without distractions.
power sockets available
free tea and coffee - BYO mug
Room updates during this time @southperthlib #southperthlibraries #wacestudyspace
WACE Exam Timetable and past Exam Papers are available through Student Box
Check this page regularly for special events for teens. You can find out about our usual programs by clicking the Kids and Teens icon on the homepage.
Thursday 14 April, 1-4pm
South Perth Library
Mentor Me gives young people aged 12-18 the opportunity to book in for a free 30 minute 1-on-1 session with a creative mentor
Deb Fitzpatrick is an author with novels published for children, young adults and adults. She also teached writing and editing.
Campbell Whyte is an illustrator and comic maker and has had work exhibited both locall and internationally.
To book, call 94740 800 or 9474 0800 for a 30 minute session.
For Ages 12-18. FREE
Friday 15 April, 4-8pm
South Perth Library
Franken toy making, Frankfurt Feast & Frankenweenie the movie.
For ages 12-18. FREE
Different Not Weird Careers Expo
Monday, April 13 at South Perth Library
This is not your average careers expo!
Guest speakers include a Storyteller, Fish Doctor, Funeral Director and more to be announced. Evening includes presentations, prizes, food, swap shop and recycled reads.
Don't forget to bring an item to swap at the Swap Shop or Recycled Reads (items can include books, magazines, comics, clothes, bags and accessories.
Ultimate Hang - Library Edition
Friday, April 17 at South Perth Library
Take everything you know about libraries and now forget it all!
Grab a mate and enter the Library after hours for good tunes, games, food and prizes galore. Also not to be missed is the Twister Tournament and a massive Scavenger Hunt actually inside the Library!