Inter-library Loan Service
*UPDATE: These trial conditions will continue until further notice, with the aim of delivering a more efficient and effective service and more relevant collections for local communities.
What is an inter-library loan?
An inter-library loan is an item obtained from within WA that is unavailable from our own local collection. These resources belong to the State Library.
From 1 July 2017, the following Inter-Library Lending changes for WA Public Libraries will be trialled for *6 months:
· There will be no inter-library lending of any fiction item for 12 months from the accession date of the item, ie; the date of arrival at the library. This applies to fiction in all formats; books/DVDs/talking books, etc. for both metropolitan and country libraries.
· Customers from metropolitan libraries will have access to a total of 12 inter-library loans per member per annum.
· Customers from country libraries will have access to a total of 24 inter-library loans per member per annum.
· If an external loan (from outside the WA public library system) is requested by a library customer, a fee will be charged.
· Library members are encouraged to access titles in all available formats (including electronic) before requesting a hard-copy inter-library loan.
· Book club items will not be supplied via the ILLs system. This applies to both metropolitan and country libraries.
All other Library services will continue as normal.
Is there any other way I can borrow items from other libraries?
Yes. You can join and borrow directly from any public library in Western Australia subject to their membership conditions. You can also borrow from other Public Libraries within the state of Western Australia. Take a look at the State Library of Western Australia's online catalogue, or please ask one of the helpful staff if you have further questions.
The trial has now surpassed its first six months and whilst the trial conditons continue, feedback is important. Written feedback should be submitted to your local library. Feedback received will be forwarded to the chair of the Interlibrary Resource Sharing Group for assessment from February -April 2018.